Presidential Election 2023: Five things INEC promised Nigerians and failed
Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) is the electoral body that is responsible for the conduct of elections in Nigeria. This body was formed around 1998/1999 by General Abdulsalami Abubakar. The entire federation looks up to this body for the proper conduct of Nigerian elections.
For the 2023 election INEC Chairman, Mahmood Yakubu introduced some new and interesting features that would be used for the election. This was introduced because of previous ugly experiences that has been encountered by the body and also by voters. It was breath of fresh air for many of us when some of the features were carefully explained and for the first time everyone believed in INEC.
Every voter was to experience this welcome development at the 2023 presidential election which was held on the 25th of February 2023.This particular election witnessed a large turnout of voters from different part of the country but it was highly disappointing as INEC failed to keep their promises.
Read: Gist On The Streets: How Nigerians are responding to PVC Collection by Favour Philip
Here are some promises made by INEC that they didn’t fulfill.
1. They promised a free and fair election but unfortunately many polling unit experienced violent attacks before voting even started. Few days before the election, we saw some security officials in the media and strongly believed that they were ready to protect lives and properties. Many voters were chased out of their polling unit and the issue was either related to tribe or the party they wanted to vote.
2. THE failed BVAS (Bimodal Voter Accreditation System), this was the newly introduced technology that was meant to ease the electoral process but sadly it was the opposite. There were too many complains about the machine not been effective, it was either there was no password or network was bad for upload and all.
3. Voting was still done manually; this was highly disappointing and embarrassing. INEC promised us that the voting process won’t be done manually, we were told everything would be online from accreditation to thumbprinting. But we ended up using ballot boxes which was now easy to snatch by political thugs.
4. All results were to be transmitted live and uploaded on the IRev portal at the INEC website but that didn’t happen, results were uploaded very late and even after the winner of the presidential election was announced.
5. Poor logistics; this was encountered in many polling unit across the country. Some INEC officials arrived late, some battled with poor network during accreditation or no data to upload results.
11th of March 2023 is the Governorship election and we hope that wrongs by the electoral body would corrected on that day.
Click on the video to watch moments from the presidential election.
Get all election updates on Gistonthestreets
Leave a Reply
Leave a Reply
Amvca 2023: A night of fashion and awards for newbies
Let’s Gist about the AMVCA 2023….
For those of you who do not know what AMVCA is, it is Africa Magic Viewers choice award and (more…)
Job Application: Recruitment for Rivers State Civil Service Commission
The Government of Rivers State of Nigeria is now recruiting for Rivers State Civil Service Commission following the (more…)
What is really happening in the Church; Female Church Member exposed as he dies in accident
A Female Church Member who is actually a man has been reported dead in an accident.
According to reports (more…)
November 15, 2022 at 12:20 pm
Wow, this piece of writing is nice, my sister is analyzing these things,
so I am going to tell her.
health care proxy
November 24, 2022 at 1:35 pm
Nice post. I learn something new and challenging on blogs I stumbleupon on a daily basis.
It’s always exciting to read content from other writers and use a little something from other
November 29, 2022 at 10:29 am
With havin so much content and articles do
you ever run into any problems of plagorism or copyright infringement?
My website has a lot of unique content I’ve either
authored myself or outsourced but it appears a lot of it is popping it up all over
the web without my permission. Do you know any methods
to help protect against content from being stolen? I’d genuinely appreciate it.
March 2, 2023 at 2:31 pm
Hiya! I just wish to give an enormous thumbs up for the good information you could have here on this post. I will be coming back to your weblog for more soon.
become a credit card processor
March 5, 2023 at 11:53 am
One more thing. I do believe that there are lots of travel insurance websites of dependable companies than enable you to enter your journey details and find you the quotations. You can also purchase this international travel insurance policy on-line by using your credit card. All you should do is always to enter the travel information and you can understand the plans side-by-side. Only find the package that suits your budget and needs and use your credit card to buy it. Travel insurance online is a good way to check for a respected company pertaining to international travel insurance. Thanks for giving your ideas.