It was announced few hours ago on the 29th December 2022 that Brazilian Football Legend Pele passed away at the age of 82.
The post stated;
Inspiration and love marked the journey of King Pelé, who peacefully passed away today.
Love, love and love, forever.
He passed away at the Albert Einstein hospital in Sao Paulo after a battle with cancer.
Here are 15 great things about Edson Arantes do Nascimento popularly known as Pele
- He became an icon after winning the World Cup in 1958 as a 17-year-old, netting twice in the final to defeat hosts Sweden.
- He is the only player in history to win three World Cups.
- He won the 1958, 1962 and 1970 World Cups with Brazil and is currently the only player to achieve that.
- In 1958 he finished the season as top scorer.
- He is Brazil’s joint all-time top scorer with 77 goals in 92 matches.
- Pele scored 12 goals in 14 World Cup appearances.
- He scored 1,281 goals in 1,363 games for club and country during his career
- He was awarded the FIFA Ballon d’Or Prix d’Honneur in recognition of his career and achievements in 2013.
- He was named in the Ballon d’Or Dream Team, a greatest of all-time XI in 2020.
- He won six Brazilian titles and two Copa Libertadores crowns.
- He is still Brazil’s top scorer with 77 goals from his 92 caps
- He led Bauru Athletic Club juniors to three state youth championships, establishing himself as a bright talent
- He was the youngest player to score a World Cup goal
- Brazilian government declared him a “national treasure” to prevent him being transferred
- He received a lifetime achievement award at the BBC’s Sports Personality of the Year event.